It has been a great week for me physically ;-).
Starting with the highlight Thursday when I showed up to run 4 miles with my friend Shanna. She wondered if we wouldn't like to maybe go ahead and do our 7 mile run instead, since Saturday when it should be happening we were running a 5K. Well, we did it and it felt fantastic to have accomplished!! I wouldn't have done it without Shanna so I couldn't be more grateful to her for introducing me to the sport. I was equally proud of the fact that before that I had not run more than 4.5 miles and on top of that I was pushing the little guy who insisted on whining "Momma car/tractor/walk/home/car/cracker/school bus/walk/play" the majority of the run.
Because of that lovely 7 mile run, I felt like the 5K Saturday would be nothing but fun! The night before the race we had poker night at Jamie's. I drank an entire bottle of wine on my own (organic of course in hopes of skipping the hangover) and didn't make it to bed until after midnight. Of course Shanna was right there with me so I wasn't really worried (right there with me drinking, not in bed, in case you were wondering). Alarm goes off at 4:30 AM and it's time to slip on the running shoes. What has happened to me??????!!!!! If you had told me a year ago I would be getting up at 4:30 AM to run after a wild night of poker, friends, food, and alcohol I would have told you to put the crack pipe down!! I can't help it though, I LOVE it!! I don't even know when it happened, with each race I love it more and more.
We made it to the race and although tired we were psyched. When they said "GO" Shanna and I ran, we were positioned toward the front so we had to move, move we did and we just kept the pace. We were awesome, even took the time to flip off the douche that yelled "WATCH YOUR PACE LADIES!!!" as he ran up behind us in hopes of maybe making everyone around us actually think we were friends with the douche. Sorry, I'm usually a very nice person but the previous douche I'm referring to took it upon himself before the race to give us tips and let us know we would be running a "tri-merry (was that it Shanna??!!) in no time if we kept at it".....mind you he has already been told that we are not at our first run. He was just so so so so so so so presumptuous. Anyway, Shanna and I ended up beating our last time by 2 minutes....coming in at 28:00 give a second or two. We got 2nd place for our age bracket although Shanna graciously let me have the medal.
Now that I think of it I think maybe when we were buzzed Friday night we made a deal that she wasn't moving until we ran a half?! Guess me and running are gonna be friends awhile! I'm ready to buy a pair of vibram five fingers, a year ago I would not have understood in the slightest why anyone in their right mind would leave the house in a pair of those things. Unfortunately they are out of stock until only hopefully mid month. I guess something new for my 30's will be caring so far less about what anyone else thinks. That seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life for the last couple of weeks and I like the way it feels. ;-)
**Hopefully pictures will follow, maybe my girl will let me jack her picture of us at the race and poker night??? :-)


So I've been digging around blogger allllllll day trying to redo my blog's layout (about 1/2 way done with the process, I think) when I saw you'd posted a new post! I like the light dots!
ReplyDeleteI LAUGHED OUT LOUD (for real) when you said, I was along side you drinking, not in bed! HAHA! :)
You can totally take the pic by right clicking/copy/pasting. I'll also send it to you in your email! If I forget, please remind me!
I wanted to write about the douche bag too but I wasn't sure exactly how to word all of it - you did it very accurately!
See you soon!
You will love your vibrams!!!
ReplyDeleteMy kids won't walk near me when I wear them but hey ;-)
Great great post!