September 29, 2009

Practicing Spirituality with Ram Dass

Yesterday was Day 1 of a 40 day E-course I have begun on the teachings of Ram Dass. Each day I will receive an email including a short passage from one of Ram Dass's books along with a suggestion for how to practice that thought. (Ram Dass - E-course)






Day 1 I set my intention -

My Intention:
To tune-in to my inner voice - learn, listen, and move in the direction that the universe/spirit guides me.


Today I am choosing a one-liner from Ram Dass to work with for the first half of the course. I choose:


There is a larger frame to the painting than the one that bounds our life's events.


These "one-liners" are not commandments, however they are little teasers, points of departure for your own reflections. I chose this quote because I think more often than not during my everyday trials and tribulations or even my joyful and peaceful moments, I am focusing on the small frame that entails my everyday life rather than the bigger picture that connects us all.


I am looking forward to the next 38 days and what they have in store for me during this spirituality course!! Namaste!



7 comments:

  1. How great is that??!!! Ram Dass is the real deal.
    He had to really apply all that he learned, from what i understand he had a stroke or something and was partially paralized.

    what's really wild.....Ram Dass is one if not the first "spiritual" little book I ever bought myself. It was called Journey of Awakening I will be looking for it when I get home...and thanks to you, i look foward to reading it again. THANK YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so interesting! It is very hard (at least in my experience) to remember to take a step back and look at the big picture! Though I think as mother's in some ways, we do this on a daily basis and that's when our guilt steps comes into play.
    Very cool concept, I can't wait to hear more about what each day's lesson brings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some anonymous commenter whom I have no idea of their identity suggested looking at the blog Birthday Shoes - you can find the link to it on my 'Blogs I Roll With' list on my blog ;) Just FYI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - thank you so much for your comment! That is REALLY wild that Ram Dass was one of your first. I haven't read anything from him and am getting even more excited now!!! I will have to pick up his Journey of Awakening book as well!

    Shanna - You are absolutely right about doing this on a daily basis with our kiddos. For example, today ;-) Little man has been seeming needy so I'm totally playing in to that and realizing that if we spend a rare day in bed watching Oprah/Thomas.....in the bigger picture I'm sure neither of us will be harmed. ;-)
    I've come across the Birthday Shoes blog, now thanks to YOU I know how to add it so I can check in regularly!! Thanks friend!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehehe no, Oprah and Thomas will not harm you - matter of fact, you just may learn a thing or two! ;)

    I saw this post today and thought, if we were brave and wanted to be supa funkay (that's my street lingo...) we could totally pull this off together! LOL
    http://cavewomanrunner.wordpress.com/2009/09/30/vibram-fashion-statement/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shanna after all the attention we got today at the race I can't even imagine what would happen if we had showed up with a look like cave woman runner!!!!!! ;-) Who knows though, when it starts to get cold those socks may be a necessity!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha!! Maybe in the winter we can get some Santa socks or something LOL :)

    ReplyDelete