This past weekend we celebrated the 2nd birthday of the little man. I really can't believe that he is already two years old. The thing I find hardest to believe is how much he is changing and how fast he is maturing. Thursday night he started crawling out of his crib which means it's time to transition to a bed. He is reminding me every day - that life moves forward quickly, and in some cases quietly. I mean how else could I look up one day and see that the little man is suddenly a completely different person, doing his own thing, his own way, (hoping) on his own terms!
He is so independent these days in fact, that he spent the entire day on Saturday playing completely on his own, per his request ("no, momma" with his arm outstretched between us every time I tried to join in). It worked out nicely though because I got to indulge in an entire day of reading.
My therapist (still love saying that) highly recommended it for me. Bonus, Mr. Aries actually went and picked it up for me so I could start right away. I really enjoyed reading it and I must say I feel like it is definitely a must read for every woman at some point in her life. More to come on if I can become and remain "unstuck" from the previous patterns in my relationships. It does feel very empowering to begin trying........
Excerpt from introduction to The Dance of Anger:
The lessons in the book may seem simple, but when anger enters the picture (your own or the other person's), nothing is easy. When you begin to take a new position on your own behalf, anxiety will rise like steam. The other person may plunk all kinds of obstacles in your path ("You're wrong!" "You're selfish!" "How can we have a relationship if you mean that?"). You may want to quit and go back to your old ways of managing anger -silence and distance on the one hand, or ineffective fighting, complaining, and blaming on the other. Changing your own part in a "stuck" or downward spiraling relationship takes as much persistence and courage as climbing a mountain or, yes, writing and marketing a seemingly doomed book.
I'd be lying if I didn't say that when this book was recommended to me, my first thought was "I'm not angry, she has me all wrong!" ;-). Boy am I glad I didn't let that little ego slip prevent me from reading this book!
Good for you for taking her advice and rolling with it even if you weren't sure you agreed with her at first! I'm so proud of Aries for bringing home the book for you! Big points!!
ReplyDeleteLittle Man is such a doll! Yay for twos!!