October 27, 2009

Living Calmly

It has been far too long since I have read a verse from one of my favorite books - Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life - Living the Wisdom of the Tao by Dr. Wayne W. Dyer. It has also been too long since I have written a post.



The last days I have been somewhat "blah". There hasn't been any drama that has managed to make me feel like I need to make changes in my life. There hasn't been a lot of exciting going-ons that have caused me to be all distracted. There has been a period of, I suppose you could call it, calm.

This afternoon I decided to pick up Change Your Thoughts and discover what insight it could offer me. Evidently, marked by my bookmark, I am on the 26th Verse of the Tao - Living Calmly. The reading spoke to me and surprise, surprise, it was exactly what I needed to read.

The heavy is the root of the light.
The still is the master of unrest.

Realizing this,
the successful person is
poised and centered
in the midst of all activities;
although surrounded by opulence,
he is not swayed.

Why should the lord of country
flit about like a fool?
If you let yourself be blown to and fro,
you lose touch with your root.
To be restless is to lose one's self-mastery.


For me the message - "Don't lose touch with your root," is what I can take away from this verse in this moment. I have been on a journey of listening to my soul, following my heart, and trusting my gut. It is surprising to me how quickly I am able to lose sight of myself when the actions of those around me change. There has been more peace and calm in my family life and in turn it has made it easier for me to doubt any actions/feelings that may "rock the boat." I just needed to be reminded that no one can make me lose touch with my root without my consent.

An affirmation to be used often:

I have the ability to stay poised and centered, regardless of what goes before me.


On another note, this past Saturday we had the pleasure of spending a few hours with the bff Alli and some of her very good friends from law school. We attended a local young lawyers event that was benefiting a local animal rescue/shelter. It was a great time with live music, dogs in costumes, good munchies, and drinks. The little man had a great time picking up tons of rocks, flirting, and keeping me on my toes.







4 comments:

  1. I really like your post....I also like Dr. Dyer. I watched him many times on pbs. His voice and presence is very soothing.
    Great pictures! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you made it out that night to the show! You'll have to tell me more about it - it can be our/my "topic of choice" tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are on the same journey, my friend... xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. by the way...this post JUST this morning showed up in my "following" list. Weird! I came Monday just to see if I'd missed something and I had. Wonder why it took so long to show up. Soo....see you in a couple hours! :)

    ReplyDelete