"Where am I?" HERE
"What time is it?" NOW
Well, I have been surprised to find peace and comfort with this simple activity. I have enjoyed it so much so, or rather, needed it so much so, that I have not paid as much attention to the spiritual practices that have followed. I am enjoying immensely the more that I ask these questions and respond with HERE and NOW, the more likely it is that in moments of distress these questions and answers just pop into my head. I am aware of the importance of being present, the power of now, etc., those are more like theories to me sometimes however, with these questions I am able to practice. ;-)
There were a few hours on Saturday when I didn't have to ask myself where I was or what time it was. I was very present and aware that I was running in a 5K with wine at the finish line and kicking some serious ass while not bothering to take any names. It was a great BAREFOOT run to say the least!!! Shanna and I finished with our best time yet (25:41) and managed to not make any enemies in the process (no thanks to me). I say that because I have a way of hiding the fact that I am fiercely competitive (at least I think I do) and during the final stretch of our run I started yelling at my girl Shanna that we better damn well beat every single person between us and the finish line. Thanks to my very loud headphones and the fact that at the time hurting anyones feelings meant far less to me than beating them, I'm not sure who could hear me pushing us with my verbal commands. ;-) Anyway, it worked, we beat 'em and Shanna got a friendly handshake from one of our fellow runners/competitors. Shanna also sent in our photo to the birthdayshoes.com site and so I'm feeling a little like a celebrity these days.
I will want to remember the moment forever!!!!
Shanna and Kelly's Vineyard 5K in Vibram Five Fingers Sprints
One last thing. I realize that in talking about my current home where I live HERE and NOW it may come across to those around me that I have a lack of love. I just want to put it out there how grateful I am for this roof over my head and for all the memories I've made and will continue to make in this home. The thought has crossed my mind over the last couple of months that I may be more attached to material "things" in my life than I would prefer. I find myself often referring to my house as "small", "unfinished", I may have even referred to it as a "shit-hole" last week (ouch). After a little soul searching, the possibility of a much bigger (notice I didn't say better) home, I have discovered something about myself. I say those things about my house to avoid/justify the judgements I feel others are making about me and my humble abode. One of those - I'm gonna point out that I know my house it not exactly put back together before someone else has a chance to think it about me first. In actuality, people probably just don't care, or if they do, I really shouldn't. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm not so materialistic afterall. The dangling of the below house in front of my nose - got my attention and even an appointment to walk though - but only a fleeting bit of attention.
Yes, the idea of 3 1/2 acres and triple the size sounds great on the surface. I just realize, I don't need that at this time in my life and refreshingly, I don't want it. Don't get me wrong, there will be a time, hopefully not long from now that it will absolutely be time to move on. I'm not leaving HERE however without showing this home the love it deserves. I believe in what my home has to offer and what it can become and will admit that in the big picture, I could care less that my cabinets are not painted, my backyard is a gigantic mud pit, among many, many other things.

I love you even more after this post! Where to begin? Well, lets go with the biggest - the house! So you've decided not to go forward with buying it? It's gorgeous, but I have to say I felt worried for you when you told us (me) about it! I don't know why, I don't know where you are financially or otherwise but I just really wanted to say "don't do it!" but since it's none of my bees wax and all ... I'm happy for you that you've come to a decision (whatever it may have been) and you can move forward with your home.
ReplyDeleteI soooo understand what you mean about feeling you have to explain away all the little (or maybe big!) unfinished projects to people because of your fear of being judged! Do you remember when you came to my house and I pointed out all it's faults???! I guess it's our way of putting out the flame before it begins - beating the jury to the judgment!
And finally! I had so much fun at the race and I can't wait till our 10k! I'm glad you were able to get out and run today! Soooo jealous! ;)
I do remember you pointing out the "faults" at su casa and I was like, WHAT, HUH???? I don't see anything ;-)!!! This lovely lady has an immaculate house, she will not be setting a foot in mine without being very forewarned. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI love you so much and your honesty, I appreciate SO MUCH!!!! It is refreshing, I'm learning from it (very good thing) and your gut was right on - that house what not a good thing for us in any shape or form at this time in our lives. Plus it would have only meant MORE, BIGGER projects!!
On another note - in an attempt to be honest - only one day did I run without you this week. Today - not so much. I feel like running at this moment but little man's nap is far more important. I never realized I would be such a slacker without you, okay, maybe I did, a little. No pressure!
LOL! NO worries! We'll call this our "off week" ;) It'll be a nice break and then we can get right back into it - it's probably good for us both actually!
ReplyDeletei too agree w/your friend shanna. i totally was in awe of the house. BUT w/the battles your trying to conquer i thought and expressed it to you that you could always get this type of house later in life. either w/ aires or leo. BUT the the old saying goes home is where the heart is not the heart is WHAT the home is. the house could make you materically happy. But true happiness as chad says "I could br happy living in a cardboard box as long as i get to live in it w/u." now considering the 4 younger people that live w/ us that might be very tight. thats why we remodeled the garage. even w/ adding 2 b bedrooms we still want to move because we are still doomed w/ no play room and everyone on top of each other all the time. one day we may get our dream house but by that time all the little ones may be gone and this little unfinished shack will be the only dream house we need.:)
ReplyDeleteok i had typos since i am holding my 3month old princess
ReplyDeleteBUT the old saying goes, I could BE happy2 BEDROOMS