This morning the little man and I headed to The Pumpkin Express to hang out with some of the Real Housewives and their kiddos. As soon as I turned into the extremely mud filled parking pit it only took a few seconds for me to realize I was stuck. Immediately I'm overcome with panic (fight or flight instinct, could you cool it, it really wasn't necessary). Anyway, the whole process lasted no more than 5 minutes, a little reversing and a lot of nailing it but luckily we were freed. As soon as I was safely planted in park on a grassy patch it dawned on me I have 4 wheel drive - probably would have been a perfect opportunity to use it, unfortunately due to the panic I wasn't exactly thinking clearly.
A couple days ago our focus for the spirituality and practice course I'm taking was empathizing with others. The assignment was to make a list of factors or experiences in your childhood and youth that opened your heart to compassion and expanded your ability to empathize with others.
My stuck in the mud experience on the way in allowed me to reach out and be helpful to another woman stuck on her way out. She was in the middle of what we will call very loosely "the road." I was just past her so I easily could have hopped in my car and been on my way. I saw her staring straight ahead with her cell phone pressed to her ear. Every now and again she would back up a little, pull forward a little, get nowhere. I could imagine she was on the phone yelling at her husband, frantically willing him to be here and help her out of this mess. I put the little man in the car and walked toward her car, not too close in case of flying mud, but willing her to look at me. I had no clue what to do, but I wanted her to know she wasn't alone and I wasn't going anywhere until we figured it out. Finally I spotted a MAN, I yelled to him to PLEASE help us. The stuck woman finally put down the cell phone and rolled down her window, I let her know I had been in the same situation on the way in and we were gonna help her out. Her eyes were filled with tears and it was as if I could suddenly feel the panic she was in let go. The man talked her through it, I cheered her on and she was released from the mud.
As I walked back to my car I was overcome with compassion and empathy for her. I would like to think that under this circumstance without having myself been stuck, I would have reacted in the same way. However, all I do know is that I had been stuck and knew how I felt and was able to see that in this other person and it may have made me kinder and more inclined to reach out.
I'm slowly learning how to step out and offer help to others, as well as ask for help in return. I'm learning time and again how much reaching out to each other benefits us all. Over the last week I have been helped or reached out to and it felt really good to return the favor. I'm so thankful. Thankful to my BFF Alli who reached out and took ME to U2! We had a wonderful time, I can't say how much my friends mean to me. I'm sorry if I've ever been absent - I need you all, I love you all, I appreciate you all!
I'm thankful for Shanna this week for keeping the little man so I can go spill my guts, cry, and grow in therapy!! This week was amazing! I have felt a huge weight once again lifted from my shoulders as I observed Dr. L taking on the responsibility of helping Mr. Aries learn to love himself. Although my initial feeling when she said that she would like to start seeing him on his own was "ahhh, man, but what about me, I like it here :-(, the feeling underneath that however was relief. She finally understands us, our situation, and she is going to help. She is the right person for the job, I would never have met her if I hadn't reached out for help. Mr. Aries told her he doesn't need to come alone, but I know, it's just a matter of time.
So, I hope to continue to reach out. Slow down, breath, empathize, show compassion, LOVE!
3 months ago
I saw you going up to the woman's truck and wondered what the heck you were going to do - I'm glad she made it out and that you didn't get stuck again! The pic of Little Man is too cute - still love that hat on him!
ReplyDeleteYour friend Alli is gorgeous - you two make quite a pair!
And you know I'll take your munchkin anytime, I just love him!
I so hope therapy works wonders for Aries, and you guys can move onward and forward! Or whatever that saying is! ;)
Reaching out is good... you're a good person, my friend! And you know what else is good? Therapy! I love me some therapy!
ReplyDelete