November 28, 2009

Adiposis Dolorosa a.k.a. Dercum's Disease

And "it" finally has a label. I've become aware of a few new words, words that I have a feeling I will be hearing and thinking about for some time to come.

I'm experiencing a bit of information overload but to finally have at least a label for what it is that has been plaguing Mr. Aries for years is in this very moment a relief. In this moment a relief because FINALLY he has received a shred of validation for what it is he has been experiencing and living with. The fact that very few doctor's seem to know much about it, that there is no treatment options or cure, that it is believed to be hereditary/genetic are beside the point for now.

It had been awhile since I've written, I figure I might as well put this new revelation out there. I can already sense a few ways it is going to be playing a role in my life. Of course other than the most obvious way, the fact that I'm living with someone that most likely has the disease. I say most likely because until he can get to San Diego for an official diagnosis from the one of two people in the U.S. (#2 is not taking any new patients) that are out there researching this disease I can't say for sure. I can feel it quickly trying to become a roadblock if you will, in my ongoing journey to listen to those whispers in my heart, in my work to follow my own heart and path.

Seriously though, how selfish of me to be even thinking about myself when I'm not the one that is suffering. I have been here before. This time I hope to not lose myself in the process...........

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it's even a little bit selfish to feel that way. To struggle to make things better in your life, to always have to be the one to take the first step and to finally be given an inch then to have to redirect your focus on something new and almost unheard of, would be so frustrating for anyone. Keep your goals in sight and even though you'll be working on several things at once, you'll come out of it a stronger, better person - and I believe, for all the struggle, the answers you're looking for will be made more clear too.

    ReplyDelete